What information we collect and why, how we use it, and how to review and update it
Effective December 13, 2018
When you use our services, you’re trusting us with your information. We understand this is a big responsibility and work hard to protect your information and give you the opportunity to control it.
We build services that help companies to work more efficiently and save time in their day-to-day processes. Our services include:
- Atlassian apps like Intercom for Jira that are embedded into Atlassian products
- Intercom apps such as Jira Cloud for Intercom that extend the Intercom platform
- Third-party support platforms like Intercom
We collect information to provide better services to our customers. The types of personal information or personal data we may collect about you include:
- your name;
- your contact details, including email address, mailing address and/or telephone number;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- your preferences and/or opinions;
- details of the services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, and our response to you;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behavior;
- information about your access and use of our services, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our services, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our services, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties, e.g. when you contact us through our support channels (email or Intercom) or if you visit our website or documentation.
We also use your information to ensure our services are working as intended, such as tracking outages or troubleshooting issues that you report to us. And we use your information to make improvements to our services — for example, understanding common usability issues with specific features helps us improve our services where it's most useful to you.
We use the information we collect in existing services to help us develop new ones. For example, understanding how customers used conversations actions in Intercom for Jira helped us design and launch Jira Cloud for Intercom.
We use data for analytics and measurement to understand how our services are used. For example, we analyze data about your visits to our sites to do things like optimize product design. We use a variety of tools to do this, including Google Analytics or New Relic.
We use information we collect, like your email address, to interact with you directly. For example, we may let you know about important upcoming changes or improvements to our services. And if you contact us, we’ll keep a record of your request in order to help solve any issues you might be facing.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details at the beginning of this policy. If you ask us to restrict how we process your personal information, we will let you know how the restriction affects your use of our services.
You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. You may request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. Where possible, we will provide this information in CSV format or other easily readable machine format. You may request that we erase the personal information we hold about you at any time. You may also request that we transfer this personal information to another third party (data portability).
If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
If you believe that we have breached the Privacy Principles or an article of the GDPR and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details at the beginning of this policy and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details at the top of this policy or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
We may disclose personal information to:
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- payment systems operators;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you; and
- third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics or other relevant businesses.
By providing us with personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to third parties and, if you are a European Union (EU) citizen, to third parties that reside outside the EU.
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure. All our services are built with industry standard security features that protect your information. We have also put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorized access, modification and disclosure. And if we do detect something risky that we think you should know about, we’ll notify you and help guide you through steps to stay better protected.
We maintain servers United States of America and your information may be processed on servers located outside of the country where you are located. Data protection laws vary among countries, with some providing more protection than others. Regardless of where your information is processed, we apply the same protections described in this policy.